Monday, August 24, 2009

Goatucation - Does a Goat Change It's Spots?

Today's Goatucation question comes to us from blueviolet over at A Nut in a Nutshell. The publicist said she can almost understand this blog as she grew up in a nuthouse. But that is another topic all together. Blueviolet asked:

I am wondering if when they are born if all of their spots and coloring carry through into adulthood or does that change over time?

Well I am going to do my best to answer this - at least with the experience I have had at the Farm. For the most part we do keep our spots and colors. They sometimes darken over time and especially in the winter when we grow our heavier coats but as you can see in these photos of Luke the goat as a kid


and as the handsome hunk of buck he is now. He is is flemming for me here.



He has pretty much kept his gorgeous cowlike coloring. I never knew I could have such a thing for cowgoats. Oh Luke I love you!

Ok, Ok. The publicist says I have to stop thinking about Luke now and go on with my post.
She is no fun.


Michael the goat has changed a bit since he was a kid but mostly it is just his hair getting a bit darker and his mantle getting longer as a mature bucks will.

If you look closely at his earlier photo you can see the dark hair along the top of his back. That is the hair that became his beautiful mantle.He still has his white spots. He inherited them from me. I am a proud nanny.


My last example is Kevin the goat. Now of course he isn't that old yet but here is his baby picture. You can see his cute knee pads and the spot under his eye. You can also see the black splotches along his back leg.


And here he is currently - with the same knee pads, eye spot and splotches.


Little Harry is really too young to show any changes at all but he is so cute I will just post his photo.


I hope this has answered your question blueviolet. I thank you for asking it.

Tomorrow - we explore the ravine.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin