Monday, October 19, 2009

Goatucation - Back To Basics, The Toggenburg Goat

I am sure you remember last week's Goatucation when I told you all about the Nigerian Dwarf goat. It is one of my favorite topics!  I suspect you can guess why....

This week I was told upon penalty of no apples  am happily going to tell you all about Mallory's breed, the Toggenburg goat.




At least that is what the publicist thinks she is. You will recall that when Jillian and Mallory came to the Farm  we really did not know that much about them other than they were not being treated very well and they needed a good home.Their former owners did not know anything about them so the publicist had to look at photos on the internet to try and figure out what breed they were. Mallory seems bored by it all, don't you think?





Her best guess for Mallory is Toggenburg so that is what I am going to tell you about today. She thinks Jillian might be an Alpine so I will probably be forced  happily tell you about them next week. It's also likely that neither Jillian or Mallory are full bred like me.( I am a perfect example of my breed.)





But on to the Toggenburg.  They are a Swiss variety of dairy goat known to come from the Toggenburg Valley in Switzerland. So I guess we know how they got their name... They are also the oldest known breed of dairy goat. (That might explain some of Mallory's A.T.T.I.T.U.D.E. - she acts like she is something special!) 

Toggenburg goats produce milk that is about 2 - 3% butterfat (take that Mallory - I give better milk) One good thing about this breed - they like cool conditions so they are suited to the climate here in Montana.







I hope you enjoyed learning more about Mallory the goat and Toggenburg goats.


Tomorrow:  Emily Flies!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin