Saturday, September 25, 2010

Goatucation Returns - Why Are Goats Eyes the Way They Are?

Yes, I know it is Saturday and not usually a day for learning.
But I was asked a question yesterday and I thought it would be rude not to answer it.

I am not a rude goat.
I am not Abby.

One of my lovely readers asked why goats' pupils are horizontal instead of vertical like your human eyes.



If you look at my close up you can see that my eyes are indeed very different from yours.


There are a couple of reasons for this. But first I would like to point out a very interesting fact; goats' pupils are actually rectangular. 
You can see that very clearly in the photo.

Is that not fascinating?

The first reason for our eyes (and the eyes of other hooved animals) being this way is to increase our peripheral depth perception so that we can see what is off to the sides better in 3D. 

The second reason is our eyes allow us to see better at night. This is obviously more important for my wild cousins than it is for us goats here on the Farm. We don't have to worry about being out at night and watching for predators. We have a nice safe and warm barn to sleep in.

Our vision covers 320 - 340 degrees as opposed to human eyesight which covers 160 - 210 degrees. This lets us see almost all the way around us without moving our heads.

Now you are jealous, aren't you?

I hope you enjoyed this Goatucation post today. I think I will goatucate you whenever I receive a question. So if you have a question about goats just ask away.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin